Having a hard time figuring out the best smartphone apps to use when you’re on the road? There are so many to choose from it’s hard to know where to start. Some are specific to the trucking industry, while others are for general use but have highly useful features for truck drivers. Read on for some of the top apps for truckers.
The newest app, Truckstop Go™ from Truckstop.com, is the fastest and most effective way to find loads, making it one of the best trucker apps around. Post your equipment to let fully vetted shippers and brokers find you, or choose from nearly one million loads posted daily. You can also instantly drr when new loads are posted, swipe to compare loads, block a broker you don’t want to work with, and even get daily rate data that puts you in the driver’s seat for negotiations.
- Filter by equipment type and lane
- Swipe to compare similar loads
- Decision tools to help you negotiate rates
- Book It Now feature to book loads instantly, even outside business hours
- In-depth broker info, including credit history and days to pay
The user-friendly AllStays Truck & Travel app has over 35,000 data points, so all kinds of helpful information is at your fingertips. The app points you to whatever type of facility you need, wherever you are or where you’re headed. Find truck stops, weigh stations, rest areas, truck ramps, Walmart stores, and even truck dealers.
You can also filter for truck stop details, so if you need laundry facilities, a shower, a dump station, road service, or more, you can find them. AllStays also lets you compare hotels when you’re looking for a room at the last minute.
- Advanced filtering options
- Turn by turn directions
- Search by map or satellite view
- One-touch calling for any listed business
- Manual lookup by city and state
Pricing: $9.99 one-time fee; App Store
The Audiobooks.com app offers over 125,000 titles, and 8,000 of them are completely FREE. You can download titles to listen to at any time, regardless of whether you have a cell signal or WiFi.
- Thousands of titles
- Entire books, not abridged versions
- Podcasts also available
- Download in advance to listen while driving through dead zones
- Family sharing available
Diet and exercise are a huge concern for professional truck drivers since they’re sitting behind the wheel most of the day (and night!). Calorie Counter is one of the best apps to keep track of the foods you’re eating, and how much exercise you’re getting, so you can do your best to stay healthy. This one has tons of nutritional information for pretty much any food you can think of (plus many restaurants and brands), and you can track everything in the food diary.
- Food and exercise diaries
- Image recognition—snap a photo of the product to find nutritional data
- Weight tracker
- Reminders to weigh in, eat, and journal
- Supportive community, including professionals
Designed to help keep your trucking business profitable, Young and Healthy Marketing’s Trucking Cost Per Mile Calculator is one of the best apps for truckers who don’t like doing math by hand, as it automatically calculates your expenses per mile. The app automatically adds the most common expense categories, so you just fill in your numbers. You can also add new categories and delete those that don’t apply to you.
- Pre-populates with the most common expenses
- Customizable—add and delete expense categories
- Just plug in your numbers, and the app does the math
- Automatically updated charts show your costs visually
- Weekly, monthly, and annual calculations
Want to know the details about your next stop? Are there restrooms? Are they dog-friendly? What’s the wait time? Save time by letting Dock411 do the work for you! Find out what other drivers are saying about the places you’re going in one convenient app. Listing more than 70 dock attributes, Dock411 will make your trip smoother.
- Truckers helping truckers (contribute information and learn from others)
- Weekly prize drawings for contributing drivers
- Helpful local driving directions from other truckers
- Current weather delays or other emergencies
- Learn the details about each dock before you arrive, from which doors to use to nearby overnight parking facilities
One of the best trucking apps for making life more convenient, Drivewyze finds weigh stations and inspection sites and automatically alerts drivers when they’re two miles away from one. You can spend less time waiting by automatically sending weigh station bypass requests in participating states. You’ll get a notification to bypass or pull in, and then the app resets so you’re ready for the next weigh station or inspection site.
- Weigh station and inspection site detection
- Automated bypass requests
- Easy to see notifications
- Available for U.S. only or U.S. plus Ontario
iExit uses your location to help you find truck-friendly exits and businesses across the United States. You can see fuel prices, weigh stations, repair centers, truck parking, etc. Think of it as a sort of Google maps for truckers.
- Lets you know which exits are truck-friendly and which are not
- Plan ahead with Find Me on Highway or Look Up Any Highway modes
- When on a highway, automatically switches to On Highway mode to show upcoming exits
- Groups businesses by highway exit
- Click on an exit or an individual company for details
Pricing: Free; App Store
The Truckstop.com Pay app makes it easy to run your business from anywhere in a secure payment platform to control when and how you get paid. Manage cash flow, load payments, and more.
- Get paid faster for a flat rate of 2.99%
- Get paid by fuel card in as little as one hour or by ACH payment as soon as the next day
- Submit your paperwork right in the app
- Receive payment by direct deposit–no dealing with physical checks
- Not a factoring service, requires no contracts or minimum volume
Pricing: Free; App Store
This easy-to-use app tells you how to set your trailer axles. Enter your current axle weights, and the app’s algorithm will let you know which holes to use. It then estimates the new axle weights based on the new settings.
- Advises on how to set your axles
- Calculates new axle weights
- Tries to balance all axles
- Prioritizes legality over balance
- If legal limits are impossible to obtain with axle settings, places excess weight on drive axles, making it easy to become compliant by removing excess fuel
NOAA Weather Radar is an easy-to-use weather app that tracks real-time conditions on your phone to plan for severe storms. Get push notifications whenever an alert is issued, plus customized weather reports to quickly get the information you need.
- Official weather information from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA)
- Push alerts for severe weather
- Plan your trip with detailed seven-day forecasts
- Pull up current conditions wherever you are
- Instructions during extreme weather events, such as Seek shelter immediately
A top navigation app that draws on contributions from more than 140 million drivers, Waze uses your location to tell you about traffic instantly, construction, hazards, and more. It will automatically recommend route changes to avoid any obstacles or traffic jams to get where you’re going faster.
- Drivers helping drivers—click to report an obstacle or traffic slowdown
- Get real-time, constantly updated information on the road ahead from other drivers
- Enter your destination and desired arrival time, and Waze will tell you what time to leave
- Find pit stops along the way, along with driving distance, real-time directions, and time added to your total drive
- Automatic re-routing suggestions based on current conditions
A full-service weather app from The Weather Channel provides forecasts up to two weeks in advance. You can also get severe weather alerts and see the conditions easily and quickly for your area. View weather radar, track storms and even get forecasts for pollen, sunset times, and more.
- 15-day forecasts
- Local weather alerts for wherever you happen to be
- Rain and snow trackers
- Radar updates, three-hour forecasts, and severe weather alerts on the home screen
- Live coverage of severe weather events
With millions of songs and podcasts, Spotify is a great way to fill those hours on the road. Listen to your favorites or discover new songs based on decade, genre, or location. Create and share your own playlists or listen to existing ones. Download music and podcasts ahead so you can listen even through dead zones.
- Listen to millions of songs or podcasts for free
- Build playlists and share them with friends
- Enjoy playlists developed by others with similar musical tastes
- Get song suggestions based on what you like
- Spotify Premium offers additional features, such as advance downloading and higher quality audio, as well as no ad breaks
Among the most popular trucking apps for those who hate the weighing process, Weigh My Truck lets you set up an account at WeighMyTruck.com, and then use the app when weighing your load. The app will automatically locate the CAT Scale you’re on and sync it to your online account to maintain your history. You can weigh your truck, pay with your smartphone, and have your scale tickets sent by PDF to five different email addresses. If you need a hard copy, you can pick it up inside the station up to an hour after you weigh.
- Weigh, pay, and get your tickets from your smartphone without leaving your truck
- Online account history
- PDF scale tickets
- Send copies of your tickets to five different email addresses
- If your truck is overweight, just readjust and do a re-weigh right from your phone
Mobile apps are an excellent way to increase efficiencies on the road, but they can also give you app fatigue if you have too many places to look for load information. To get all the load board information you need in the palm of your hands, download Truckstop Go to find high-paying loads, negotiate the best rates, and keep your truck moving, free to Truckstop.com subscribers. Download Truckstop Go to get started.