If you’re one of the many truck drivers on the road this Thanksgiving, making a pick-up or delivery instead of sitting down for a turkey dinner with friends and loved ones, thank you! Your dedication to keep America moving and getting the goods where they need to go is truly something we should all be thankful for—at Thanksgiving and beyond. We’ve rounded up some great restaurants that are serving Thanksgiving dinner with turkey and all the traditional trimmings, so you can enjoy a tasty meal and celebrate Thanksgiving with your “extended family.”
Planning to be behind the wheel this Thanksgiving?
Wherever your holiday plans take you, you can still sit down for a delicious Thanksgiving meal, and enjoy your favorite food with fellow drivers in the trucking industry. With more trucks on the road than ever before, you won’t be alone. Plus, you can take pride in the fact that you’re playing a critical role, ensuring Americans everywhere get the food and goods they’ve come to count on as they celebrate the season with their own families.
The Trucking Industry and Thanksgiving
By the time Thanksgiving Thursday rolls around, chances are, many truckers have already had a hectic week, if not month. In fact, given the current carrier shortage, it’s highly likely you’ve been busier than ever trying to keep up with demand.
- It’s estimated that truck drivers will deliver 16,600 truckloads of turkeys for Thanksgiving alone. Of course, all the traditional fixings are transported by truck, too, including 80 million pounds of cranberries and 3 billion pounds of sweet potatoes.
- And as one of the busiest travel days in North America, whether it’s by train, plane, or automobile, nearly 47 billion Americans will travel 50 miles or more. And that requires gas—gas transported by truckers.
- Nearly $60 billion worth of products are bought during the weekend that follows, starting with Black Friday. Then comes Cyber Monday! The frenzy will continue well past December, as supply chain issues will likely result in goods being delivered well into the new year.
None of this would be possible without the trucking industry and the truck drivers who sacrifice their own holidays so the rest of the country can celebrate ours. While we’re enjoying our delicious holiday eats, scoring killer Black Friday deals, and partaking in festivities with friends and family, truck drivers all over the country are making sure we get the goods on time and in tip-top shape.
How about this holiday season we all thank a trucker?!
Best Places to Eat Thanksgiving Dinner
November signals a high possibility you’ll be braving snow, ice, and traffic. These restaurants can be a beacon of rest, comfort food, and nourishment, so you can have a much deserved and hard-earned Trucker Thanksgiving!
- Bob Evans nation-wide, will be cooking up special homestyle meals all day long Thanksgiving Day. Dine in, get delivery, or pick up curbside.
- Boise Stage Stop, Boise, ID, is cooking up a Thanksgiving feast starting at 10 a.m. until the food runs out. Best of all? Show your CDL card and YOUR MEAL IS FREE! (They know how to show a trucker some love!)
- Cracker Barrel, also nation-wide, will offer all your faves: turkey and dressing, sugar-cured ham, sweet potato casserole, biscuits, and pumpkin pie, starting at 11 a.m.
- Iowa 80 Kitchen, Iowa, right off I-80 in Walcott, the world’s largest truckstop, is a good go-to if your load takes you through Iowa. You can always count on a satisfying home-cooked meal, and Thanksgiving is no exception.
- The Greater Chicago I-55 Truck Plaza, Chicago, is also offering CDL holders a FREE Thanksgiving feast, and if you have a passenger without a CDL, it’s just $12.99!
If dining out isn’t for you, join Meals for 18 Wheels on Facebook. This awesome volunteer squad focuses on bringing meals to drivers who are on the road and gets bigger every year. Drivers fill out a form if they want to be included in meal delivery. In addition, this incredible community helps truckers in emergency situations. Volunteer or let them know you’ll be driving!
To all the truck drivers out there from Truckstop.com, thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!
To us, you are truly the heroes! We know the hard work, commitment, and sacrifice your job requires. Our mission is to continuously work on your behalf to supply you with the tools you need to make your work easier at every turn. We strive to provide the products that take the heavy lifting off your plate, so you can enjoy the freedom and prosperity you signed up for in good health. Use our load board to find great loads and make more money, sure, but this Thanksgiving, you can even use it to find a comforting, homestyle meal along your route! Check it out!